We want to share two EXPUNGEMENT resources—resources to help people clear a criminal record if eligible—based in Santa Clara County, CA (South Bay):
- San Jose State University (SJSU) Record Clearance Project AND
- Office of the Public Defender, Santa Clara County
1. San Jose State University (SJSU) Record Clearance Project
— FIRST, the SJSU Record Clearance Project is offering individual interviews to review people’s rap sheets at two Speed Screenings on:
- Tuesday, April 8, 2014, from 3:30 – 5:30 p.m., at Maranatha Christian Center, 1811 S. 7th Street, San José, CA
- Friday, May 2, 2014, from 3:30 – 5:30 p.m., at the Center for Employment Training, 701 Vine Street, San José, CA
FOR CLIENTS: Speed Screening interviews are one-on-one interviews to review your rap sheet and determine whether your conviction(s) can be dismissed. Please bring your rap sheet for an individual interview regarding “next steps” in the expungement process. The waiting list for court representation by the Record Clearance Project currently is closed. Please let them know one week in advance of the session if you are coming to a Speed Screening by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail is preferred) or leaving a message at (408) 924-2758. The clinic may not be able to assist people on a walk-in basis who have not called ahead. A voluntary, $10 donation is requested. All services are free to low-income people.
— SECOND, the SJSU Record Clearance Project is offering two presentations in March on the law and procedure involved in clearing a criminal record on:
- Wednesday, March 5, 2014, from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m., at the Dependency Advocacy Center, 111 North Market Street, Suite 407, San José, CA, and
- Tuesday, March 11, 2014, from 5:00 – 6:00 p.m., at InnVision Shelter Network, Montgomery Street Inn, 358 North Montgomery Street, San José, CA
2. Office of the Public Defender, Santa Clara County
- Monday — 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesday — 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday — 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Friday — 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Please let anyone you know who could be eligible for expungement and lives close to the South Bay know about these services!
—The R&R Team