ROOT & REBOUND SEEKS FULL-TIME ADMINISTRATIVE & DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT
About Root & Rebound
Root & Rebound is a Reentry Advocacy Center dedicated to improving the lives of reentering citizens and maximizing their opportunities for success in the community. Root & Rebound provides a range of programs and services for individuals and communities through direct legal and social services, legal education, and policy advocacy. Founded in October of 2013, Root & Rebound is focused on bringing an innovative and creative approach to solving the current crises in reentry in the Bay Area, in California, and beyond.
Location: Berkeley, California
Administrative and Development Assistant
Commitment: Full-time, starting March 2014.
Position Description: The Administrative and Development Assistant will coordinate and manage the administrative operations, communications, and development activity of the organization. This position also entails front desk and reception area coverage.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide administrative support for Root & Rebound generally and towards development and communications work specifically
- Staff the reception/ front desk
- Manage client database and client files
- Manage and update referral database of community-based organizations, government agencies, and other partners
- Manage staff calendars and coordinate scheduling with clients and partners; make travel arrangements
- Office management: locate and work with vendors to ensure that office is running with all required systems
- Assist with office errands and court filings
- Answer incoming calls and manage voice messages, manage Root & Rebound’s email communication, retrieve & sort mail, deposit checks, order supplies, and other administrative tasks
- Assist with the implementation of development and communications initiatives, including putting together development and communications materials, writing newsletters and updates, drafting content for the website and blog, and managing Root & Rebound’s social media pages on Facebook and Twitter
- Assist with fundraising events
- Managing and tracking donations, donor and contact databases, and generating donor acknowledgement letters
- Any other necessary duties
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Desire to work with reentering citizens and on reentry/ criminal justice issues in a dynamic legal environment
- Demonstrated interest in improving the lives of disenfranchised people and communities
- Bachelor’s Degree and intellectual creativity
- Previous office experience required, preferably in a nonprofit or social services setting
- Previous experience with reception/administrative work is required
- Previous experience with fundraising/ development/ communications is preferred
- Strong writing, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and meticulous follow-up and record keeping skills
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, sound judgment, and good sense of humor
- Eagerness to take initiative, solve intricate problems, work on multiple projects simultaneously, and prioritize and organize in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to be flexible and adapt well in a changing start-up environment
- A high level of dependability and the ability to maintain a consistent schedule during business hours
- Ability to comfortably and appropriately communicate with a diverse group of stakeholders including formerly incarcerated clients, staff, community partners, board members, and others.
Compensation & Benefits
This position is offered as a full-time position. The salary range for this position will be discussed with candidates upon being invited to interview. After three month trial period, this position will include medical, vision, and dental health benefits.
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, short writing sample, and at least two references with contact information in an email to Katherine Katcher (Executive Director) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter, writing sample, and references will not be reviewed. No fax or mail applications and no phone calls, please. Applications must be submitted by March 3, 2014.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, people with conviction histories, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.